RAD NEW RELEASES FROM ALL GENRES
| COMING SOON | THE ‘DAMN DECENT’ PODCAST
GIFTS FROM THE GRAVE
TOWNES VAN ZANDT
| BY PARKER CHANDLER (COUGH + WINDHAND) |
If you’re not familiar with Townes’ work you need to remedy that, but I wouldn’t recommend starting here. It’s raw; the recording quality varies significantly song-to-song and there are slight mishaps scattered throughout, even mere seconds into the opening track. All of this works though, because Townes’ music has always thrived on a natural beauty. At face value, ‘Sky Blue’ is a casual recording probably never intended for mass consumption if not for the fact that the artist has experienced more popularity in death than in life, and for those of us who’ve long since worn out the grooves on all previous TVZ releases, this collection of songs is a gift from the grave.
THE ANGELS IN HEAVEN DONE SIGNED MY NAME
LEO “BUD” WELCH
| BY STAFF |
It always feels like a crime when talented artists lead the majority of their lives in obscurity, producing work few enjoy until post-mortem discovery. This was pretty much the case for Leo “Bud” Welch, the Mississippi blues singer/guitarist born in Sabougla, Mississippi, in 1932, who died at 81-years-old in 2017. He recorded his debut album, ‘Sabougla Voices’ in 2014, released via Fat Possum offshoot, Big Legal Mess, to quiet acclaim. His third and last album, ‘The Angels in Heaven Done Signed My Name’, was produced with the help of Dan Auebrach of The Black Keys and was just released March 8th via Auebach’s label, Easy Eye Sound. Welch recorded 30 or so of his original songs with Arcs members, the late Richard Swift and Leon Michaels, before cutting down the tracklist to 10 tunes. With bassy tracks like ‘Don’t Let the Devil Ride’ and ‘I Come to Praise His Name’, the chunky blues feels familiar, driven by Welch’s soulful voice and hearty plucking. Pay homage and give him a listen.
WARISH s/t | Riding Easy Records
| BY STAFF |
The months-old brainchild of Riley Hawk and his room mate Broose (both from Petyr), Warish is stripped down and raw. Riley wanted to play something different, and what resulted was a lo-fi, fuzzed skate punk departure from their psychedelic origins. “I tried to not overthink anything and just let the tunes sound how they’re gonna sound,” Riley begins. “We actually have two new tunes recorded for a 7-inch that to me, are much more thought out or full.” The young band has already gotten plenty of praise, yet they remain humble. Grant Taylor, respected skateboarder, even chose Warish’s new single ‘Fight’ for a recent video part. “Seeing Grant Taylor, who is one of the best to ever do it, skating to our tune was a pretty rad moment for me,” says Riley. Give the self-titled a listen and keep up with their next moves below.
LONG WAY FROM HOME | Dead Oceans
DURAND JONES & THE INDICATIONS
| BY STAFF |
Staying true to their quintessentially dreamy blend of 70s soul and 50s motown, Durand Jones & the Indications have released another single to take us back. ‘Long Way From Home’ rides a bouncy bass line peppered with harmonic vocal melodies and piano flicks to complement Jones’ commanding voice. The composition is self-aware. If you’re looking for a sunny-day tune that won’t make you roll your eyes, but instead leave you thinking “maybe the world isn’t so shitty,“ you’ve found it.
| BY STAFF |
The abrasive French heathens are back with a gory, noise-littered take on their sludgy, death metal roots. “Punir” looms like a soundtrack to your dismemberment, so much so, that if you ever fell victim to torture you’d wish this was playing, propelling you to accept your fate. Breaths of descending guitars set us up for classically-paced, double bass breakdowns, followed by obligatory blast beats and hairy vocals filling any semblance of a void that could’ve been. Sure, a guitar squeals here and there, but it isn’t accompanied by Whitechapel-esque bree bree cheese, so it’s alright by us. With whole tracks of static that buzz like corpse-hungry insects, you can see the direction they’re headed. Listen to Fange as they take you to your next life and stream “Punir” on Throatruiner Records.
SPLIT | Translation Loss Records
PRIMITIVE MAN + HELL
| BY STAFF |
Primitive man aren’t exactly optimists, but who could blame ‘em? It only takes one glance at the 24-hour news cycle to convince us we’re already in hell. The earth is dying, people are divided and a shitty Motley Crüe movie is being released soon; that’s what Primitive Man’s lyrics are based on (minus the Motley Crüe bit, that’s just hell for us). The self-proclaimed first and only death sludge band in Denver have been at it for more than seven years and aren’t slowing down. And why would they? Just when you think their tracks can’t get heavier, they release something more crushing than the last. Which is why their split with Hell, the one-man spawn of MSW, isn’t a stretch. Hell is a catharsis for MSW, and in this case, it’s a 19-minute release of the pent up sentiments that plague him today. The link above is a tease. Listen to the full split exclusively on Decibel.
POSTHUMOUS HUMILIATION | Profound Lore
| BY STAFF |
Four years after their cutthroat debut album “Suicide Euphoria,” Philadelphia’s Pissgrave are back with their follow up album “Posthumous Humiliation,” produced by the extreme metal whisperer, Arthur Rizk. Once the novelty of the brutally sadistic cover art wears off, you get into the meat and potatoes of the album. “Posthumous Humiliation” showcases an elevated technicality since “Suicide Euphoria.” Not necessarily inventive, their ode to old school death metal plows through each track with levels of variation, speed, and multi-flavored riffs akin to gore metal giants like Carcass and Disgorge, while maintaining their own gruesome feel. “Posthumous Humiliation” clocks in at over 42 minutes with relentlessly garish riffs that make you feel like you just dropped a speedball in your uncle’s Pinto. “Posthumous Humilation” is now available for purchase via Profound Lore Records.
ETERNAL RETURN | Relapse Records
| BY STAFF |
It’s hardly a surprise Windhand has received the acclaim they’ve gotten across the board. We first met the RVA crew in 2012 when we booked them in Savannah, GA. They had just released their inaugural self titled full-length and—despite their cop-killed set—sent the town reeling with shit-eating grins on their faces. A lineup change and seven years later, they’ve honed their sound and conceived a narrative album that’s elegant in its heaviness, but humble. “Eternal Return’s” generous 60 minutes move fast. Between charged tracks like ‘First to Die’ and ‘Red Cloud,’ rest bass-heavy monoliths like ‘Eyeshine’ to remind us where they came from. Jack Endino gets it. This isn’t the first time the producer’s worked with them and it shows in every subtle harmony and deliberate tone. Windhand is diligent, from the character of their members, to the composition of their work. The four-piece hits the road March 7th for a European tour—check out dates near you.
| MUSIC BLOG ARCHIVE |
- Jan 9, 2019 ULTHAR - Cosmovore Jan 9, 2019
- Jan 9, 2019 BASTARD NOISE | XIPHOID DEMENTIA Split LP-’Human Extinction Machine’ Jan 9, 2019
- Jan 9, 2019 Mansion - First Death of the Lutheran Jan 9, 2019
- Oct 5, 2017 IRON MONKEY RELEASES FIRST ALBUM IN ALMOST 2 DECADES Oct 5, 2017
- Sep 8, 2017 Electric Wizard Just Released 'See You in Hell,' a Track Off Their Upcoming Album 'Wizard Bloody Wizard' Sep 8, 2017
- Sep 1, 2017 ASTARI NITE'S DREAMS OF MAJESTY - A NOSTALGIC GOTH'S DREAM COME TRUE Sep 1, 2017
- Aug 23, 2017 Atriarch Released 'Dead as Truth' Full-Length Aug 23, 2017
- Aug 23, 2017 USNEA Releases Music Video for "Pyrrhic Victory" a Track off Their Unreleased Full-Length 'Portals Into Futility' Aug 23, 2017
- Jul 19, 2017 Mayhem Reissues Limited Run of 'De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas Alive' on Vinyl Jul 19, 2017
- Jul 6, 2017 Neurosis is reissuing their 1990 album, "The Word As Law," via Neurot Recordings Jul 6, 2017
- Jul 6, 2017 One Master releases their latest album, Lycanthropic Burrowing, July 14th via Eternal Death Jul 6, 2017
- Jul 6, 2017 EXPULSION - SUPERGROUP FORMED FROM EXHUMED + REPULSION RELEASE THEIR DEBUT ALBUM via RELAPSE Jul 6, 2017
- June 2017
- May 5, 2017 Psycho Las Vegas 2017 Announced Mastodon As Their Headliners May 5, 2017
- Feb 16, 2017 Horseneck : Heavy Trip LP Feb 16, 2017
- Feb 16, 2017 Brown Acid : The Fourth Trip Feb 16, 2017
- Feb 15, 2017 Metal Blade Records' 35th Anniversary Tour Feb 15, 2017
- Feb 15, 2017 CRUD and Weltesser announced US Eastern tour in May Feb 15, 2017
- Jan 7, 2017 Gatecreeper, Nails, and Toxic Holocaust are hittin' the road in March Jan 7, 2017
- Dec 21, 2016 MAYHEM is touring North America next month with BLACK ANVIL and INQUISITION Dec 21, 2016
- Dec 20, 2016 PSYCHO LAS VEGAS lineup announced - we've got quite the motley crew here Dec 20, 2016
- Dec 14, 2016 COKEGOAT- Chicago six-piece drunkenly breakdown each track off their latest release 'Drugs and Animals' Dec 14, 2016
- Dec 11, 2016 Uniform Choice - Screaming for Change Reissue via Southern Lord Dec 11, 2016
- Dec 11, 2016 Black Anvil- ‘As Was’ title track premiere on Clrvynt via Relapse Records Dec 11, 2016
- Nov 21, 2016 MALEFICENCE - REALMS OF MORTIFICATION 7" Nov 21, 2016
- Nov 21, 2016 CLOAK Nov 21, 2016
- Nov 21, 2016 VALIENT THORR - THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS Nov 21, 2016
- Nov 21, 2016 INANIMATE EXISTENCE - CALLING FROM A DREAM Nov 21, 2016
- Nov 21, 2016 TRUE WIDOW - AVVOLGERE Nov 21, 2016
- Nov 21, 2016 GRAVES AT SEA - THE CURSE THAT IS Nov 21, 2016
- Nov 7, 2016 Cave of Swimmers Nov 7, 2016
- Aug 6, 2016 IRON LUNG's Jensen Ward and Jon Kortland Aug 6, 2016